How To Set Up Your Boater Pass
Once your date is confirmed and deposit taken for a Lower Deschutes trip, you must secure your BLM boater pass at that time. Failure to secure your boater pass will result in a non-refundable cancellation.
To reserve your boater pass:
- Go to https://www.recreation.gov/permits/251980
- Create an account (if you don’t already have one) by clicking ’Sign Up’ in the upper right corner of page.
- Once you have an account, go back to https://www.recreation.gov/permits/251980, making sure you are getting a Lower Deschutes River permit, sign in and click on the blue ‘Check Availability’ box on the right side of the page. Make sure ’Boater Pass (Non-Motorized)’ is selected in the drop-down menu.
- Under ‘Detailed Availability’ on the next page, indicate our ‘Launch Point’ (we will provide you with this info ahead of time) and our ‘Start Date on River’ per your reserved date(s). Indicate our ’Take Out Point’ (we will provide you with this info ahead of time) and our ‘End Date on River’ per your reserved date(s) and our ‘Group Size.’ Our group size is the number of people in your group, plus the number of guides working the trip (we will provide this info ahead of time).
- Double check your trip details, it’s easy to make mistakes! Click the green ‘Check Availability’ box to proceed. Click ‘Book Now’ at the bottom right side of the calendar.
- Follow prompts on the next page to complete additional account info.
- Scrolling down, it may ask for your birthdate.
- Confirm ‘Launch Location’ and ’Take Out Location.’
- Continue scrolling down and click the toggle indicating that this is a ‘Commercially Guided Trip.’ A drop-down menu appears, choose ‘SKOOKUM OUTFITTERS.’ This is a crucial step, be careful to choose the right guide service as there are many with ‘outfitter’ in their names.
- Scroll down through all the fine print and click ‘Agree’ at the bottom of page.
- Scroll back up the page to locate and click ‘Proceed to Checkout’ on the right side of the page.
- Confirm details on next page.
- Click ‘Proceed to Payment.’
- Complete your payment details on next page.
- Unless otherwise instructed ahead of time, print a copy of your pass and scan it or take a picture of it with your phone. Send the scanned image or photo to firstname.lastname@example.org.